Saturday, April 16, 2011

Just a poem


Should I Fight?

I fight empathy

every
 step
of the
  way.

Who taught me this?

The lesson is sung
in our bones,
our blood;

anyone of this world
but not
my world
is undeserving
of consideration.

This song leads me
in a heavy dance,
my limbs weighted
I grapple
with the inclination
to understand,
to see past
our
un-same-ness.

But then,
isn’t it true
that certain people
(certain groups of people,
certain ruling peoples)
created
the tradition
of insensitivity?

Or better
the endeavor
to be unfeeling,
to grasp self-centered-ness
by the strength of its back,
to hold it close,
to do only
for oneself?

What if we could

inject
fresh born humans
with empathy;

so much so
that it made them
victims
bodily
            to their own
senses.

What if by this infirmity,
this so called empathy,

one felt ill
every time
one chose
not see one’s  
neighbour;

chose not to
acknowledge
its humanity
(our shared
humanity),
its
likeness,
the same-ness
that is the thread
running through us
like the golden-hued chord
in a moving,
breathing
tapestry.

How like
I am
to you
and you to me,
and both to some
divine spirit
which could
be
you
if you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment