Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hello May

It's finally spring or what I like to think of as one of Alberta's two seasons: not winter.  The days have been beautiful, if a little too windy for hooping (insert sad face).

I have in fact been writing, I've just also been moving a roommate out and a girlfriend in to my apartment.  It's been a bit of a process and not even out of laziness or drawing it out.  I don't know how it happened but over the course of my five years in Calgary, I've accumulated a lot of stuff.  Not to worry, I've gotten rid of about a third of it so I can't even be called a packrat anymore, I just have a lot of hobbies and the associated accessories ...

About the writing though, I HAVE been writing a little, I just haven't been posting.  The reason I haven't been posting is because I haven't really written or finished any poetry.  I've been reading other peoples' poetry ...  Neither here nor there though, although there isn't any new poetry there is some old-ish stuff and I'm going to share with you some of my writings over the next few days ..  really more musings if you will?

Without further ado, something old:


This is Our Mythology

I believe you are my karma;
I suspect that I am yours.
The story of us begins
on a night
when seeing you
I taunted,
challenging you
to show me something true
(you did).

To me you were something shining,
something darting,
if I turned to look at you
straight on
I swear you’d disappear;
a will ’o’ the wisp
baiting me
further and further out into some
dark and murky sea
(but you didn’t
and you don’t
and I thank all of the powers).
Brilliant
like the single spark that flies from the fire,
glowing so brightly
in that second
of flight,
my heart could sing in response
(and it does).

To you I was something so subtle,
so steady,
like a heartbeat,
(to steady your heart-pain);
the sound of a revolving dance,
that whoosh of
cutting air,
spinning in a circle
faster and faster,
hypnotic as a chime,
gentle as the surf.

But when we came together,
your bright blinking,
my soft drone,
the collision sent shock waves,
(reverberating)
like the crash of a tide.
It made the others
look up
momentarily in its passing,
blink at the sun
or tilt their heads
to try to
catch again that sound,
that click and flash
of two halves made whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment