Thursday, March 31, 2011

First Thing's First


So this is my very first post for my very first blog.  How exciting!  I've been talking about doing this for a ridiculously long time and I must say, I feel pretty damn proud of myself.  Perhaps I should withhold congratulations until I see whether or not I actually make regular posts but there is more to this story.

If you don't already know me (which is unlikely because I don’t know how you would’ve found this blog otherwise) I am incredibly shy particularly when it has anything to do with being creative or any kind of self-expression.  I’m also a hoopdancer (mostly when no one’s looking) and I do a lot of artsy/crafty type stuff for fun which mistakenly leads people to believe that I’m some sort of performer, which I am most definitely not.  Again, I am almost painfully shy.  The point is that starting this blog is my metaphorical jumping-off-a-cliff (I am also afraid of heights); suffice it to say, this is very scary for me and I appreciate your patience.

Anywho, the purpose of this blog for me is mainly to do some writing, specifically poetry.  I’ve always loved poetry from a very young age and I’ve recently started writing some again.  It’s something that has always happened in waves for me and I’d like it to become a more regular thing.  I really look forward to some feedback and constructive criticism so if you’re willing, I would greatly appreciate it.

So without further ado, this is a poem that I wrote for my lady, tell me what you think.  It may be a little cheesy, but that’s just how love poems go :)

Sometimes

I love you
and sometimes
(but only sometimes mind)
I feel
crushed by it.

It wouldn’t feel so overwhelming
If I could say it aloud some time.
Maybe even just to myself,
in an empty room
with a window,
full of sunspots and warmth
where I feel safe
And unafraid.

I know that it is true
because it seems like sometimes
(perhaps more times than not)
a thousand tiny daggers
prick my skin
when I think of you.
Small pleasant sensations,
no pain, only electricity,
like static,
like fire.
It reminds me that I’m alive.
Wondrous sensation:
Sometimes
(deliciously sometimes)
sweet and melting
Like the lemon filling in a pie,
Sometimes rigid,
Inflexible,
Sharp;
if feels like raspberries taste.

At other sometimes
this vitality translates into
a kind of heaviness;
slow and inflated
with a myriad,
a confusing eddy of emotion.
These sometimes bring me to
spiral down to my depths
where I discover my own base nature;
like molten metal I am,
hot,
liquid,
still,
pooled on the floor.

But always in that perfect sometime
at the meeting point
of our two selves,
the nearness of your
fundamental nature
feels like a wind to me.
An arresting gale,
exultant,
never distressing,
simply clean
and good
and full of promise;
nourishing, life-giving oxygen,
revitalizing me always.

And just so you know,
sometimes
(and in truth, it may be most times)
I think I could
rip my heart out and give it to you
as a gift.
Not in sacrifice
nor as an offering
but because
you feel enough
for the two of us. 
But then again,
maybe
I offer it
because it’s already yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment